Monday, May 28, 2007

Chase

I got a new foster dog this weekend. His name is Chase and he is a very adorable handful. We went to the American river yesterday. I wanted a good hike and he REALLY wanted to swim. I may not have known that coming, but I learned quick. He almost pulled me in when we finally got close to the water! This from a dog who may be big, but he almost never pulls on the leash, so it caught me totally by suprise. Then, he swam nonstop for the entire afternoon. I litterally had to tie him out of the water occasionally to keep him from freezing, that water is COLD. He is a recent rescue from the streets so while he has the frame of an 80 pound pup, he only weighs 60 lbs! You can see his ribs well enough to play them like a xylephone, sad. But, he is eating nonstop and we will get him fattened up, yes we will. Anyways, the point is, he has no insulation from the glacial water. I only managed to get in up to my waist, but still got wet all over, can you say shaking dog anyone? brrrr.
He did scare the crap out of some poor guy though. He got away from me once and ran upstream. I caught up with him hanging out with a guy in snorkle gear who was babbling a little, but I didnt think much of it since he was petting Chase and they seemd friendly. I finally pieced together that the guy had been snorkling in a little pool and Chase came out of nowhere and jumped off his back like he was a trampoline! (I have to admit I would have loved to see that, though I am sad that he scared the poor bugger) Scared the crap out of the poor guy, as I imagine it would. Crazy dog.

No comments: