Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Bodie

Back to posting pics about my California road trip.
This is Bodie, a ghost town in eastern CaliforniaIt's an old gold mining town that had quite a reputation for licentiousness and murder.
The place was huge, and is now a state park
Most of the houses are amazingly intact (or what is left after some huge fire at the turn of the century)
Most people apparently just up and left everything
It was kind of fun to wander around and peek into all the windows.
The old church
A sawmill for firewood. Almost worth more than gold in this crazy place
An old car
Inside one of the old blacksmith's shops. See the giant bellows?
The general store
The school
a lesson
Max and Rin in the old mine elevator
The road to Bodie

1 comment:

stcastle said...

Everything about this adventure in Bodie I am envious of. My mom basically lived in an old ghost town in Kansas, and I loved perusing through old houses and such...one of my favorite past times in fact.