Friday, May 30, 2008

Vyšší Brod

I couldn't go into work today because no one was going to be there, so Daša and I took advantage of this and played hooky. We went to visit what used to be one of the most important monasteries in the region, Vyšší Brod.
It was in pretty bad shape. It was looted extensively during the war, and the communists used it as a farm factory or something. Not an unusual story. Now, they are trying to repair it, but...
As you can see, it needs a lot of work.
It used to be its own little town of sorts, with all these buildings and gardens


We took a tour of the chapel. It smelled very old and very much ignored. Cold too. The impressive part was the library, an amazing collection of ancient books.
These pictures are all wonky because I was being a bit of a bad girl. They didn't allow pictures to be taken, so I turned off the flash and snuck them. Didn't look obviously, so they are all off kilter.They also won't let you touch the books, and have a fancy alarm system to prevent you. When I took the above picture, the alarm went off, scaring the crap out of me. I thought for a sec that I had actually triggered it with the stupid camera.
This room was amazing, the shelf strait ahead had bibles in 40 or 50 different languages. and the painting on the ceiling was odd, but really beautiful.
After our tour, with the worlds most boring tour guide (especially for me since he spoke Czech! but I could tell he was boring even without understanding him), Daša and I took a little detour on the way back to town. Meant to go strait there, but...
The willows were fluffing (don't know if you can see it), it was fun.
I know this is out of focus, but it is one of the best pictures of Daša that I have.
Another chapel in town.
On the way home, we passed by this wonderful castle.
For my fishermen friends, wouldn't this be fun?

No comments: