Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gansbaai: Shark Alley

For my last adventure in Africa, I had to take a 3 hour trip south of Capetown to a little town called Gansbaai.
This is the starting point for trips to the famous Shark Alley. Home to the breaching great white shark that you may have seen if you are a fan of wildlife documentaries. We were on the lookout for an ever so slightly tamer view.
So, we went 'fishing' for the sharks, using this smelly bait
Beautiful animals

This was a little guy
Even though the water was not super clear, I had to take the opportunity, since I was here, to do the whole 'swim with the sharks thing'. So, for a little while, I got into the cage that you can see in many of these pics.
This is a BIG shark!
Guess he's practicing for the seals?

It was amazing to watch
So cute and little, only a little bit longer than me...
Just to give you a size reference, you can see the heads of some people in this picture





It was amazing to be in the water with these amazing animals (with a nice sturdy cage in between). It was also spectacular to stand above and watch them float so gracefully by.
Great White Sharks!
On the way back, this gull hovered for a photo. I love the way it turned out.
Another shark viewing boat
Back in the harbor, these young boys were passing the afternoon playing in the waves
Brave mothers was all I could think.
After this lovely farewell, I started my 30 hour trip home. Back to Capetown (with a shower stop at the shark peoples office, thank goodness. Can you imagine travelling 30 hours on a plane, with a body covered in salt?), strait to the airport, and on to home. After a stop in California to see my family and pick up my lovely Rinsters, I made the final 10 hour leg of the journey, to start teaching the next day. Weeeeeee, life. Isn't it grand?

2 comments:

everett hurst said...

Wonderful pics heather. Say hello when you slow down. everett

Anonymous said...

How fun! Seems like a great experience although I don't know if I could have gotten in the water with the sharks. Great pictures!
~Jennifer Spieth