Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pelican beach

After all the running around, we decided a relaxing day at the beach was in order.  The fun part was that the little bay was full of diving pelicans.  You can bet I spent hours searching for the right picture.  

And perfect for Christmas time, they had santa hats
SO, I have way too many pictures of pelicans here, but I couldn't decide.  And this truly is pared down
They weren't the only ones fishing
So, they would circle above the water, and then tilt their heads just so.  Ah, fish sighted!
and down
down they would dive
Splash!
After a dive, they would circle again.  Sometimes coming super close (and we just barely missed a good dive bombing this particular pass)
So I decided I wanted a picture of them just as they entered the water
Dive
Splash
Dive
so close, but splash!

Oh fish
Dive
Splash

And then finally, the perfect sequence




you can even see his toes in the splash

Such pretty birds

Oh wait, another one
I love this dive
Part of the joy of tropical beaches is fresh coconut
Nancy sure enjoyed adorably
I considered the idea of climbing the tree, but ouch
Coconuts transport by water.  I had to take this picture for teaching
Some pretty tropical beach scenes




And back to the pelicans in the evening light
but now they were in pairs
even harder to get the picture now
so many of them
and then!  
I had so much fun watching pelicans!

No comments: