Thursday, July 26, 2007

Logan

I have a new foster dog named Logan. He is the sweetest, most cuddly, lovable dog. But... man is he making my life difficult! Ive only had him 6 days, and already he has decided, without a doubt, that I am his human. Consequently, he refuses to leave my side. Now, I live in a small apartment where I am technically only allowed to have small dogs (who wants that though?). Having him bark there just might be a problem. I have to bring him to work every day and have him in my office. I have a new office now, which is great. I graduated out of the closet in the stairwell, but this means I am in the professors hallway. With a dog who barks if I run to the bathroom for 2 minutes? To complicate things, he has now come down with kennel cough, a nasty dog cold that is highly contagious to other pups. So, I can't let him socialize with anyone, and he can't make the run to school. Therefore, I have a dog that I can't leave at home because he will bark, but can't take to school because he can't make it there and would be a lovely vector. Oh, and I have a bark collar, but it works by zapping the dog when it senses loud noises (ie. barking). Unfortunately, he is also coughing really loud right now. How horrible would that be? What to do?!?

So, now I am driving to school with him, paying the stupid fee to park on campus, and losing my easy daily exercise of riding the bike. And I still can't make it to the bathroom! He is afraid of the linoleum too, like many of my fosters, but that means, when I want to run to the lab for something, I have to coax him across the stupid hall. It takes forever! And if you get impatient and pull, he freaks and wont move at all. But he's so damn cute! And he was going to be put down if I didn't take him. He really is a wonderful dog, and I think his separation anxiety could actually be dealt with if someone had a little more flexibility. But, arghhhhh!
It's a good thing hes adorable, or I couldn't take it. He is one of those dogs that you never make it very far walking with him because he is so cute and everyone stops you to coo.
Here we are, dancing on the beach.

By the way, I didn't take any of these pictures, my field assistant Eric did.

No comments: