Saturday, August 20, 2016

Born August 19, 8:13 pm

Baby girl
7 pounds 1.5 ounces
19 inches long

Not the easiest entry into the world. She had the cord wrapped around her neck, and she and Momma Katt overreacted to some epidural meds, so it was an emergency C-section.  She didn't look so great at first so she spent her first hours in the neonatal intensive care (NICU).  
I do not thing she approved.


I was flying in the air above Eugene when she was born.  Best I can tell based on timing, I was literally in the air above the city on my flight from Oakland to Portland.  By the time I finally got to the Eugene airport, I was a blubbering mess.  What mom misses the birth of her child? ha.  After freaking out the taxi service (I had to explain it wasn't a bad, rather a happy reason I was crying and had to get to the hospital fast), I made it there about the time Katt could have visitors.  Baby was still in NICU and only Poppa James was allowed in.  
When we finally got to see Katt, they gave Katt and I the mommy bracelets so we could officially move around the hospital.

 Eric and I finally got to meet her around 1 am I think (I wasn't super aware of time at this point)
She was still on assisted breathing but doing better every minute.  She is a fighter for sure.

Here she is being adorable

 We finally left her at 2:30 to try to get a little sleep. But that didn't go as planned, with a middle of the night panic attack. I mistook the call for doctors as an emergency for us (I woke to a blinking red light and a intercom voice saying trauma trauma over and over again).  Turns out the light was the thermostat and the trauma call was for doctors scattered throughout the hospital to get to  emergency.  But I didn't realize that at the time and freaked out.  Woke Eric up and badgered him to move.  He couldn't go anywhere without me because I was the only one with the official arm band. I finally drug him down to the NICU where we tried to quickly (not possible) wash hands the thorough way necessary to enter NICU.  When we got there, She was fine.  Everything was relaxed and she was even off the assisted breathing.  I lost it at that point.  Damn that was scary.
The next morning, she was just waiting for paperwork to get out of NICU.  
Hiccups

Katt hadn't even seen her yet, so as soon as she could face a wheelchair, we all four came down to visit our baby girl.  

Meet Katt and James, the wonderful birthparents 

Finally, by mid morning, paperwork went through and baby got to come to the normal maternity side of the hospital.
Katt holding her for the first time

Then I finally got to hold her.  It was amazing and I cried, a lot.  Man was I such a blubbering mess. 


Man oh man am I in love with this little girl

No comments: