Monday, February 12, 2007

Fin del Mundo

Here we are, at the end of the world. It has been a bit of a change! The weather may be freeking cold, but the days stay light till 10:30 at night. We were lucky enough that my friend Cesar from Santiago decided to join us for this leg of the trip. He is serving as a very welcome interpretor,´driver, muscle man, and comedian. Katie and I are having SO much fun with this crazy guy, it almost isnt fair.
We went to Puerto Natales and Torres del Paine in search on my plant, as well as a bit of adventure. I came here the last time I was in Chile, never thought I would get the opportunity to come back. I guess the saying is true that if you eat a calafate berry, you will return. I was in much better shape last time though! Ouch.
Cesar y Yo Guanacos!
Beautiful spot
Quite windy though We hiked up to the base of las torres. It was one heck of a hike, but incredable. We started pretty late though, almost didnt make it back to the tent. thank goodness for long antarctic days!
Las Torres Sunset, with a long way to go to get to the tent!
The mountains are spectacular here, but so are the lakes!

2 comments:

Dave said...

Heather, have you seen anyone fishing in the lakes or rivers? Should I bring my fly rod? These pictures are great and I'm sure there are dozens more - I am anxious to see them all. Blessings to all your friends helping you two on your journey. Keep the postings going when you can - its very exciting to see your adventure progress. Love to you both, Dave.

Jan said...

last night we had 50mph gusts of wind, found all the leaks in my car as it whistled through. I at least had my car around me.....
great winds there at the end of the continent.....
keep the journey stories going,
love to you both
Jan