Sunday, February 25, 2007

Mosquitos!

It was pretty sad, but the only pictures I have of Buenos Aires are of the port at night. My camara, with its fancy expensive battery, died during the one day that I had to take pictures. Bugger technology. The original battery actually lasts longer than the fancy one! We´ve moved north now, on to Santa Fe. It is incredably hot and humid here, and the mosquitos are unbelievable. The city was pretty interesting though, we walked through at night. Got eaten alive, but oh well. We spent the day today on a typical treasure hunt for my plant, finally found it in a field full of cows. We have a Swiss kid named Paco with us for the week, and he wasn´t so cool with passing through the cows, but he survived. I think he thought we were crazy for doing what we do, but he eventually even joined in (I think he was desperate to get out of there!). Later we went to Parque National Pre Delta. Talk about mosquitos! Katie and I braved a walk through the woods to a lookout, and there were litterally clouds of the little buggers! Katies white shirt was black with them. Suprisingly, I am not too itchy, yet. My face is a bit lumpy though, good thing you can´t see me now!
You can run, but you cant hide! This area is quite beautiful. Unlike the rest of Argentina which is flat flat flat, the ground sort of rolls here (I know, there are hills and mountains, there is just more flat!). We are in the land of soybeans, I have never seen so many soybeans. We drove for 6 hours, and other than an occasional field of corn or this mystery plant, there was nothing but soy. Talk about monoculture. By the way, if anyone knows what this crop is, please tell me, it is driving me crazy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather I think the plant you are wondering about is Milo Maize. Pics are great keep 'um comin'...........Dad

Dave said...

HI Heather, Linda thinks plant might be Amaranth, an ancient cereal grain. This is her Jeopardy guess. Let us know when you find out for sure. Love to you both, see you soon. Dave.

Anonymous said...

Heather, the plant in question could also be sorgum(sp). Hope all is well with you two.....DAD