Monday, September 1, 2008

Washington DC

We had a CESRI reunion this weekend. Though it was more of a show and tell to NSF to prove to them that the program was worth while. Honestly, for me, the coolest part was being in the NSF building and giving a talk behind an NSF podium. Not that any NSF people came to see the talk... but still!
I was amused at the DC metro, very distinctive decorations, made you feel that at any minute some scifi creature was going to come jumping out of one of the ceiling squares.
It was my first time to DC, so I was pretty excited to see the sites. Doesn't look much like summer here does it?
It cleared up later though, and looky looky, here is the white house.
The Washington Monument from the Lincoln Memorial
CESRI put us up in a super fancy hotel again, though I didn't take a picture. After, I stayed in this place. I was thoroughly amused. It looks rather grand here in front
But from the inside, it looks just like an admittedly nice version of a desert motel. It was a pretty nice place in spite of everything, and in easy walking distance from the mall, so...
I managed to fit in quite a few museums, with varying degrees of thoroughness. I was quite amused that they had a totora boat in the American Indian Museum (where we didn't actually see the exhibits, we just ate there - choices on that side of the mall are pretty limited to hot dog stands or museum cafes). This pic is just a bit different from previous pics of me near these boats. I'm not dirty!
So, I'd never want to live there, but I have to admit it was pretty darn cool to visit. We even saw a motorcade one time, that really set it home that I was in the capital. weeee

No comments: