Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Kinney Lake Backpacking

Rinley and I went backpacking this weekend on the Pacific Crest Trail, a place called Kinney Lake. I was really needing to go camping at least once this year, and my uncle Dave recommended this place. Quite ideal really, only 2 miles in to a wonderful campsite, but far enough of a drive/hike that not too many people were there.
Grandma walked in with me, just to keep me company.
Of course, it was lovely.
This is Kinney Lake, or one of them, there are 2.
After Grandma left, I shucked the bags and continued hiking for the heck of it. Here is my lake from above.
A beautiful meadow/mountain.
Sometimes, when I caught him out of the corner of my eye, Rinley looked a heck of a lot like a deer with those big ears. (if you click on this picture, it will blow up and you should be able to see better)
Pretty mountains...
Pretty views...
And back at the lake, my view. I kept taking pictures as the sun went down, it was lovely
Rinley was absolutely perfect on this trip. I was able to keep him off leash the entire time, he wandered, but always came back when called. Had a great radius, if anything a little too close. But he will get better as he gets more confident.
We had a blast playing a sort of tag. Here he is, all ready for me to chase him.
Sunset
Unfortunately, I got very sick in the middle of the night. Caught a flu from one of my friends, made for a very miserable night, and cold. I was so very glad to see the sun rise in the morning. and, it was pretty.

The hike out was a test of will power though. 2 miles is nothing if you are healthy, but 2 miles at 8000 feet if you have a fever and can't breathe?
Made it out though, even if I had to (got to) spend 2 extra days at Grandma's house as neither of us thought I was coherent enough to drive home. I have to say, it was nice to have someone take care of me in my misery. Normally I have to putter through alone!

No comments: