Thursday, September 18, 2008

Rinley

I adopted a dog! Meet Rinley, my new man.

There is a new manager at my apartment complex and she is super nosey. I knew I would never be able to get my regular parade of gentle giants past her. In a panic over loosing the chance to have dogs in my life, I started searching for a smaller dog who would be more acceptable for the complex. Before you think I'm crazy for adopting a dog on the spur of the moment, well I've been thinking about it for the past year, just hadn't met the perfect dog. The recent difficulties just upped the urgency a bit.

Rinley was listed at 42 lbs (so not true, he weighed in at 57 today at the vet). I grilled his foster on his behavior and temperament and all that, got satisfactory answers and picked him up Sunday on the way home from the mountains.
While I am normally a floppy ear kind of girl, I just fell in love with Rin's 'wings.' I love how they can look so beautiful (below), or absolutely absurd (above).
He is slowly adjusting to life here with me. I think he is a bit overwhelmed by the chaos of the big city (if you come from a reservation and then a country home, Davis is a big town). I am being patient with him and coaxing him through the trials of the garbage truck, Davis bikers, and most especially, linoleum floors. He really really doesn't like those. After a few days of carrying him up to my 3rd floor office (he is definitely not 42 pounds!), I've finally got him willing to walk on it by day 4. He still really really doesn't like it though. This is him just begging me to get him out of here and away from the horrid floor.
So, I think it is going to be quite a lot of work bringing out his confidence and revealing the wonderful personality I'm already getting glimpses of. I do wonder what his bad habit is going to be... But isn't he the most beautiful thing you've ever seen? And such a sweety!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heather!!! Your new boy is so precious and handsome- I would love to meet him sometime! I think I might be in the market for a new pet soon, poor little Ellie never came back, and I just can't not have a kitty around. I am so sorry to hear about your aunt. I lost my aunt to cancer when she was the same age as yours and it's just not fair. I hope you are doing better, and that your family is alright.

I miss you guys, but I hope you are all doing well. Hopefully I'll be around sometime to visit you all again! Ohhhh and if you want to keep up with the happenings with wedding planning and all, I stole Jenise's idea and started a blog. It's at brynnhooton.blogspot.com Talk to you soon!