Monday, October 13, 2008

More trips to Grandma's

After a thwarted attempt to go backpacking on the coast this weekend, I convinced my friends Justin and Jay to head up to Grandma's house. Since it had the benefits of endless hiking and warm beds, they quickly agreed.

It seemed everything was out to thwart us again (more about that later). I waxed poetic about the beauty of Ebbetts pass, about the wonderful hiking and fall color, etc. And the pass was closed due to the recent snow. So, undaunted, we hiked around Union Lake instead. No aspens alas, but ...
Jay was one of the guys with me on the CESRI trip.

Justin is his amusing roommate.

We finally made it to our hiking spot, and realized it is hunting season. Rinley already looks frighteningly like a deer, so we found some old flagging tape and made him a bow. I think he feels its an insult to his masculinity, but oh well.

It snowed on us off and on all day, you can see it in this pic (Elephant Rock lake) if you blow it up. Odd to be snowed on while the sun is shining down...

Oh, and there was plague. Well now...

It was lovely though
Here's Elephant rock, or at least I think that is the one they call Elephant rock.
Justin desperately wanted to climb to the top. We didn't make it all the way up, but got pretty close. Even Rinley, what a champ.
It is lovely country up there.

Rock Lake, the unforeseen end to our journey. I was an idiot and tweaked my knee, forcing us to turn back. Made a fun hike out, I can tell you.
What follows is what I like to call my segment on 'Boys will be boys' feats of skill and strength, ahrrr!

Rock flinging
'whack a mole'
More rocks, this time to crack ice!
Tests of bravery and skill
Conquering new lands
Scaling mountains
Ahhh, isn't life grand?
Even if you sometimes pay for the adventures...
Though it's nice to have Grandma around to patch us all up after. Yea Grandma!

No comments: