Friday, September 24, 2010

Victorial Falls, Zambia

I started my Africa trip in the town of Livingstone, Zambia. After close to 35 hours travelling, I finally arrived and the first thing I did was go to Victoria Falls (of course).
This is Trevor, the general driver/tour guide from the lodge. We ended up spending a lot of time together and he was a really cool guy. Too bad I don't have a good picture of him, alas
The falls were spectacular, but very hard to capture in a picture, they just kept going and going. This is just a tiny cornerA picture of me, for you sticklers who pester me. See, I really was there
Who knew there was such a thing as vertical rainbows?
I couldn't decide between these 2 pictures, so you get both (this may become a common theme as I try to choose from the 4000 pictures I took on this trip)
It was rather wet standing here to take this picture. The local name, Mosi-oa-tunya, translates to something like the smoke that thunders. Smoke, right.
Many of the pictures you see of this place show it all green, but I was there in the dry season. Less water, and sparse vegetation, but still spectacular
Trevor and I stayed to watch the sunset

That's Zimbabwe over there
My pictures don't come close to doing justice to the way the mist from the falls turned everything golden pink as the sun set


This is a terrible pic, but the best one I have of Trevor and I, so...Isn't it lovely?
So, none of my sunset pics show the true beauty of the African sunsets I saw. I guess I needed filters or whatnot. But just so you know, the sun was bright red on the horizon.
Another one of me, Trevor stole my camera. Don't expect so many later in the trip (thank goodness)
This is one of my absolute favorite shots. No idea why, but I love it.
We stayed at the falls until we got chased out by some elephant who decided they wanted to be where we were. Elephants are BIG when there is nothing between you and them. No need to argue here.

No comments: