Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Panama


Finally, after hearing about its beauties for years, I got to visit Panama! Granted, I was supposed to gather data for my PhD and was spectacularly unsuccessful, but that is irrelevant. I have many other countries to go, and they dont have my plant on their species list without actually ever having seen it (do you detect some bitterness? No, never!). It was a beautiful place though, and seeing Angel there was wonderful.

Panama City was huge, and quite crazy. I am very glad I never had to drive there, traffic laws were obviously only there for show. I must admit that the busses were pretty darn cool though, even if they constantly exuded a thick, black, lung rotting cloud of nastiness. They were called the ´Diablos Rojos,´or red devils. Angel´s family was great, he has quite a set of brothers... and his mother is adorable.

The first place that Angel took me to was the Caribbean city of Colon, where he grew up. I loved to colors of the houses in his old neighborhood. This dog was thoroughly adorable, begging for attention and sticking his head out of the fence to say hello. I just love the way this picture turned out.








Then we went and spent a few hours watching ships move through the Gatun Locks of the Panama Canal. Im not the biggest fan of machines and ships, but it was pretty fascinating to watch these monster boats move through the tiny locks.

No comments: