Saturday, April 26, 2008

Quick trip home

Kendra
Well, I finally got more than three days in a row that I could take off without horrendous guilt from various parties. I jumped on the opportunity to head home for an important visit before I head out of the country yet again. Most importantly, I really wanted to spend some time with my Father's wife who has recently started a battle with cancer. Although we found this out a month ago (almost to the day), this was my first major experiment free chunk of time in ages. Luckily, Kendra has the most amazing support system of friends and family. I've had to content myself with constant phone calls and check ins. It takes 10 hours to make the drive up too, so I had to have at least a few days up there to make it worth it.
Unfortunately, I got sick. It was very frustrating to drive all that way and then not be able to visit because I was a germ factory. Luckily, the neighbors put me up (and the dog too, very brave of them!). I eventually worked things out to wear a mask the whole time and wash my hands obsessively (and no touching, of course!) and got to spend one evening at home with Dad and Kendra. Eating dinner wearing a surgical mask is interesting, let me tell you. It was a pretty nice visit, and I am very proud of Kendra and how well she is holding up. She has an amazing spirit. I always knew that though, this is one woman who won't let the world get her down!

Zoe
Taking Zoe on this trip has not been the easiest thing. Too many changes in houses and rules. But she did amazingly well for a puppy, poor thing. I unfortunately don't have any pictures because I am an idiot. The best thing was her introduction to the llamas. Lottie was, if possible, even more curious than Zoe. When I took the pup up to the upper pasture for a good run, the two ladies spent almost 5 minutes smelling each other through the fence. I so wish I got a picture of this! So, llamas like to sniff each other and anyone else as a way to say hi. I've always called it giving kisses. You basically stand there and blow in each other's faces. Now, picture a large dog, and an even larger llama as far apart as possible, but so that their noses are still touching through the gate... streeeetching.... sniffing... hold that pose!
Then Zoe discovered that llamas like to play tag! Oh what fun! Most of them were smart enough to stop when they got sick of the game. Poor Angel didn't though, she got a little freaked and kept running, getting Zoe all excited and nipping at the heals. I was in a bit of a conundrum, but then Angel solved it neatly by jumping the fence! Wow! Luckily she just went into the next pasture. Silly dog!

Essay Contest
The other main goal of this trip to Oregon was to sell my essay contest at the High School. I dutifully made a little powerpoint show of only the interesting adventures of my work to give the kids another take on science. This is a new thing. I always used to just have Sully announce the contest for me, but for the past 2 years I have been doing it myself. And since I am there, the teachers have asked me to talk about something to show the kids a potential success story out of Estacada. So, there you go. I had the stupid cough though, and it made giving a coherent talk rather hard. And then I got super sick at lunch time! Actually spent a few hours lying in the nurses office puking my guts out! Don't have a clue where that came from. Kind of cut my talks short. But, at least the kids I did talk to seemed to pay some attention , and I was there on Earth day! Not intentional, but useful. So maybe I will be getting some good essays this year. I sure hope so!

No comments: