Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Wien (Vienna)

I went to Vienna this weekend, to escape the loneliness of this house without Dasa and Hugo. It's quite a city. Though, I must say I didn't like it quite as much as Prague or Budapest. Those two have a quaintness, maybe an eastern European quality, that sets them apart. Vienna was just another big city, with all the shops that big cities have. Granted, it had some pretty splendid architecture. Tiffany's doesn't sit on a street like this anyplace else! (actually, I don't think Tiffany's was actually here, but ...close enough)

The most impressive buildings in this city, to an uneducated eye at least, were the churches. This is Stephansdom, the pride of Vienna.
It was bizarre inside. All lit up with black lights and 'angel wings' down the hall. They kept the tourist behind steel bars, I tried to take a pic but it didn't work. A little like starving souls reaching for salvation (or a picture). Amusing. Unfortunately, I can't deny being one of them to get this shot. hmmmm
I found this side of the church when I got lost, I think it was my favorite part. I love the tiled roofs. I be this has some significant meaning, but I don't have a clue what it is. numbers?This was another church, St. Peter's I think. I love the copper dome.
It was very beautiful inside, totally over the top, but beautiful. There was a group of musicians practicing for something, that was pretty wonderful.
The dome from the inside.
And, yet another church. There was a wedding party coming out as I got there. Beautiful bride of course. It was funny watching the driver try to maneuver out. small streets, lots of cars, wedding people in the way...
And finally (though there were many more) I saw this one after I went for a walk by the Danube. I think it was my favorite, totally over the top!
The other notable thing about Vienna this weekend was the color red. I swear that there was some sort of agreement made, that to be a man... It's a football thing, this picture is mostly Spaniards, since they played Italy Sunday. But, on Saturday there were people from all over. Unfortunately, most of the teams wear red: Turkey, Austria, Switzerland, Spain... there are probably more, but those were the ones I recognized.The streets were teeming with the crazy boys. They made an amazing racket, singing at the top of their lungs, in huge groups...
I escaped the madness a little and went to see Schonbrunn, the summer palace for the Austrian emperor. With only hordes of tourists, it really did seem mellow. huh.For once, I paid the money and took a tour. It was kind of fun to walk through the bedrooms where royalty used to sleep (along with millions of other tourists). The gardens were pretty cool. That is the Gloriette at the top of the hill.
Back in town, Mozart's house, or one of them. He only lived here for 2 years, but I guess the others are destroyed or something. I could have paid 10 euros and gone in, but I decided not. As one girl I talked to said, I've seen Amadeus, didn't feel the need.
Finally, I treated myself to an opera. When we went to the opera in Budapest, they said that only maybe Vienna and Paris could rival their opera house. I had to see this one then. It was not nearly as ornate, but had a stately beauty of its own.
It was fun to see all the boxes too. Not a style I am used to. I was in a box, though you couldn't actually see the stage from my seat. Thought that was odd, but the acoustics were amazing. Even from my back seat.
The opera itself was odd. Something by Tchaikovsky, very Russian. I don't think I ever expected (or wanted to!) see an 80 year old woman getting raped by a man singing at the top of his lungs. Wow. And everybody died in the end too. Lots of drinking and gambling. Very Russian.

No comments: