Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ljubljana

The transition from Austria to Slovenia was immediately obvious. Ahhh, communism. Slovenia is recovering well though. It is an amazing country. Stunningly beautiful.

Ljubljana (pronounced something like lubleyana) is the capital.
It is a rather small city, and totally laid back. Quite pretty too.
In the town hall, there is this map on the wall.
Of all the former Yugoslavia, Slovenia is reportedly the best off. I was amused how much the language is like Czech. Just enough to confuse me really, since I could now say please, but not thank you, good day, but not hello.
The castle on the hill was an interesting mix of modern and ancient.
A chapel in the castle
View of town (I walked up a lot of hills on this trip, phew)
The best part of Ljubljana for me was the fact that it was the dragon city. These giants guard one of the main bridges into town.
I like the droopy roofs in this picture
Finally, I told Walter (my dance instructor) that I would find him something dance related. Not having much luck with that... but I saw these guys doing traditional dances. So, here you go Walter!


No comments: