Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Salzburg

On my way to Slovenia, I made a stop in Austria because I had been told Salzburg is a lovely city, and, well... cause I could.
I didn't realize it at the time, but it is where the Sound of Music was filmed, and my god are the tours obsessive about that. Have to admit, it made me want to see the movie again though. Saw the fountain they sang around (no pictures because, like everywhere worth seeing in Europe, they are restoring it during the height of tourist season, go figure), some of the other background for the movie, fun stuff.
Game of chess anyone? The old town is protected on one side by the river, and on the other by this cliff.
I love the class between tradition and modern life
Lots of pretty churches, of course
One of the gates to the fortress on top of the hill
I met a Costa Rican doctoral student in the castle and toured with him, pretty fun.
It is supposed to be one of the biggest fortresses in Europe and it dominates the town
The view from the top is impressive. City to one side
and the alps to the other
Opulent ceilings
I just liked this picture
More lovely views
One of the many monasteries in town
In the evening, I discovered the Mirabel Gardens. Not my style of garden necessarily, but with a free symphonic concert, the sun setting, and lovely flowers? not a bad evening.
The highlight of the visit though was the next morning, when I discovered this farmers market. Fresh fruit! After my time in Czech (don't get me wrong, I love the place), I was ready to kill for a ripe peach or something. yummmm

No comments: