Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Predjama Castle

I was bound and determined to see Predjama Castle in the karst region of Slovenia
When I got to Postojna, the (rather unattractive) main town, I asked how best to get there. After waving down the suggested bus, the driver smiled, waved back flirtatiously, and kept driving. What? So I rented a bike from my hotel.
It turned out to be a wonderful idea, since the weather held (after my morning in Piran, I was a little doubtful), the scenery was spectacular, and the roadsides covered with wild strawberries.
The castle itself really is amazing. It is built partially inside a cave
The most famous owner was a baron who got mad at his king (for the trifling reason that he killed his best friend) and went renegade. He held up in this castle for over a year (don't quote me on any of this), got his revenge by robbing the king's caravans, and resisted all sorts of siege tactics until the day a traitor shone a light on the bathroom (the little building on the left) when the guy was doing the necessary in the middle of the night. they then proceeded to blast him to kingdom come. ouch.
The front gate was well defended in at least one way
The pretty little scallopings on the top? They open up over the drawbridge for a perfect aim of boiling oil.
The inside of the castle was obviously part of the cave, with back hallways into the cave itself
and even secret passageways between levels or to the outside.
The legends say (or at least the hokey tourist pamphlets) that the baron used to sneak out this one during the siege to pick cherries.
Part of my tour was in the cave below the castle. You can see it in the bottom left of this picture. They used to use it as a stables.
The whole bottom of the cliff was riddled with caves. the top of these 3 holes actually opens into the stables I think.
The creek that is responsible for all of this disappears into blackness rather quickly.
One last look at the castle before I go in. This cave system is the second longest in Slovenia I think. something like 12 or 15 km long.
I didn't take many pictures inside, because, well, the light wasn't exactly up to it. ha
I couldn't resist taking a picture of this guy though
So, in general, I think it was worth the 20 km bike ride through the Slovenian hills (much steeper than your average)

No comments: