Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bled

The last stop on my quick tour of Slovenia was the town of Bled. It is situated on a very picturesque lake.
The water is an amazing color
The town itself is nothing special. Just your typical ski town look. I spent very little time there
The best part is the lake and its surroundings. This church is on a small island in the middle.
I rented a boat and rowed out there for kicks. Pretty church
wild stairs to get up there. Some of the tourists were having a rather hard time.
I circled the island for fun. The bells were tolling constantly, echoing over the lake.
The mountains in the background were beautiful. The large one on the left forms the border with Austria. Snow courtesy of the recent crazy storm.
I know these pictures are repetitive, but I couldn't decide which one I liked best, so...
There is also a castle above the lake.
awwww, pretty
I didn't actually stay in Bled, I was in a hostel in a neighboring town. That evening I went sunset chasing. Climbing the alps, even just a foot hill, on a full belly chasing after a fleeting sunset? yeah, so I didn't get above the houses in time to catch the spectacular, but hey, you will just have to trust me that it was lovely.
The next morning, I went back up the hill, at a more leisurely pace, because the town I was in was pretty cool.
This church had a fading fresco on front
and a really crazy tiny door on the side of the tower.
It was a very pretty walk
This is looking towards the town of Jesenice
Looking towards Bled, you can see the castle on the little hillock to the right
The Julian Alps in the distance
Back towards Ljubljana
A pretty shrine up the hill a ways. though not on top by any means, I only had 2 hours! The Alps are just wild how the go strait up, and up, and up
I had some time to kill in Lesce while waiting for a train. This unusual way of storing hay is very Slovenian.
The town of Lesce

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. Really. I want a copy of the swan with the castle in the background. And a copy of most of the others too.
I'm so very jealous.
Love and missing,
Katherine