Friday, July 18, 2008

Auschwitz

One of the not so happy parts of this trip, though interesting in spite of things, was the visit to Auschwitz. I didn't realize it was so close to Krakow. We sort of felt obliged to see it, considering the history and closeness.
One of the things that got me is how we much have echoed the past a little. Unknowing of what lies ahead, being herded through the 'work makes you free' gate... and later into the gas chambers. Obviously our visit was much less tragic, but there were moments that gave me chills.It was also amazingly small, much smaller than I had imagined. Hence the construction of Auschwitz II.
Auschwitz II, Birkenau
The second camp built close by. This was the place where so very many people died. It was so big, with the potential to cram so many people, that it was truly flabbergasting to hear that 90something percent of people arriving were immediately sent to the gas.People were housed in these wooden barns, sooooo very cold in the winter.
Sanitary arrangements, if you can call them that.
All in all, not what you would call a pleasant day. But I'm still glad I witnessed it. Never forget and all that. Wish we could though, erase it from our memory along with all the possibility of anything like it ever happening again. I'm not so naive though. sigh....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sheesh