Sunday, July 6, 2008

Vltava source

We went on quite an adventure today, all the way to the source of the Vltava river, the one that my life seems to center around here. Dasa, Honza, Jakub, Hugo and I all piled into Jakub's Car and away we went.
First, we stopped at the old military zone between east and west. In this site, there used to be a village. It was obliterated step by step by the various groups controlling the area. Nothing left now but beautiful meadows that have a few garden species flourishing amongst the natives. It was very picturesque but seemed odd to me since you could stand on the top of this hill and see villages on either side of the military zone. The one that they destroyed all the churches so enemies couldn't navigate. hmmmmm
Hugo was absolutely adorable all day.
There is a huge infestation of bark beetles in the park where we hiked. Between the acid rain (no longer from industrial gunk, now just the standard commuter) and the bugs, the poor trees don't have a chance.It was a pretty long hike. Really nice to stretch my legs, even if I had to stretch them a bit longer than normal. Everyone here is sooo tall and walks so fast! My tortoise pace didn't quite work for them. I survived though. It rained on our way out. first it was a pleasant dripping, but then it got nasty. Luckily, Jakub went ahead for the car and picked us up early. Boy did we get soaked!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, when are you coming back? When are you going to call me? You haven't called or emailed in ages and that's not like you. I need my Heather fix. You got an Isabella fix, now where's my payment?
-K