Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Number 20!

I've got another foster, that makes 20 dogs that have come through my house. Amazing huh? This lovely lady is named Belle. She is one giant hunk of burning love, all 95 pounds of her. I call her the Queen Latifa of the dog world because she is big, black, and BEAUTIFUL.
Rub my belly, please?!
This dog is a first (at least for quite some time) in many ways. She is the first girl I've had in ages (unless you count Mrs. Chew, but I only had her for the weekend). She is the first that I can walk on leash without getting pulled across the room, the leash is even slack! She is also the first in quite a while to scare the crap out of me. See, this silly little love tried to kill herself yesterday, got into some rat poison at the greenhouse where I work. A lovely rush to the vet later, after 2 doses of vomit inducer, and 2 ensuing doses of hydrogen peroxide down the gullet (1 dose of either of these usually makes any sane dog heave their guts out), and she still refused to give it up. Guts of steel I guess. We have an antidote, so it isn't the end of the world, but it is seriously expensive, and we aren't even sure she ate the damn stuff (I saw her doing it and grabbed that poor girl, shaking some, if not all out of her mouth).
The good news (ha!) is that I have proof that you can do anything to this dog and she will not hurt you. I stuck my silly hand halfway down her throat to try and make her vomit, and she didn’t even fight. Funny thing. She just desperately wants 2 things: a person to adore and follow everywhere, and food, tons of food (hence the gobbling down of the illicit substance).
I left her in the office when I went out to lunch today, and I've been told that every time someone walked past the office, she howled heartbreakingly. ooooops! It is a good thing she is so easy and well behaved when she is with you, otherwise I would have a very hard time with this dog!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you know anything about thiosulfate poisoning. Mogger ate a small container of Garlic sauce the other night and has been sick for about 4 days.